Re-furnish or Re-furbish?

As I’ve gotten older my philosophy in furniture buying has grown into a more mature (and I think sustainable) one. I’d now rather wait to find (or save up for) a quality piece of furniture that I'll keep for a very long time rather that settling for something which is going to ‘do the job’ for a time, but then probably just break or look cheap and get replaced in the not too distant future…

This may seem simple enough, but sometimes it’s just so tempting to race out and pick up that cheap, flat-packed item rather than going without for a while or making do with the hand-me downs and throw aways from family and friends. (Or, in the case of my first student share house- milk crates as chairs, coffee tables, book shelves…the novelty wears off after a short while)!

As a result of my (more or less) recently developed ideology, I have found myself extending the life of some of the bits and pieces around my home by giving them a little cosmetic lift, so they are just that teeny bit nicer until I can find or afford the furniture I actually want.

We had these kitchen stools from friends who didn't need them anymore. A few hours of time, a lick of paint and a bit of fabric and the stool was refreshed again in what I think is a somewhat “French provincial” style which suits our little country-style kitchen. They're doing the trick for the moment, until I decide on what stools I would like to have a more permanent existence in our home, at which time these little babies will probably get passed along again...
K x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...