Setting Stones

A little while ago I posted about my Silversmithing course and I thought I'd give a little update. So since completing the ring and the earrings, I started (and have now finished) a chain. I get to pick it up tomorrow as it had to go in the burnisher to be polished overnight and I haven't been back since last week's class. I'm very excited to see the finished product, and I wish I'd taken more progressive photos of the process but I always think of that after the fact! That's something I need to get better at and hopefully as this blog develops so will that skill. I'll put photos of the finished chain up very soon!

I've been given my next project though and I can't wait to start as it's a cabochon setting- the first type of setting I get to learn. I chose a stone (Azurit) in class last week and since then have discovered this awesome etsy shop that sells wonderful hand-cut cabachons: http://www.etsy.com/shop/cabbingrough (see images below)

Oooh I imagine I could make so many pretty things with a stone like this....

Or this...
Or this...

Which is good because I've purchased the last one. It's turquoise that has been dyed and bronzed and the result is this gorgeous purple colour- I've never seen anything like it. So stay tuned because sometime soon I will be showing off a unique ring or pendant using this lovely stone.

K x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...